Thursday, September 11, 2008

La Jolla Rough Water Swim

Its true, its true! I did it. I swam an entire mile, in the open ocean, and I smashed the time that I was trying to beat. Last weekend, the babe and I made the trip out to La Jolla to swim in the 78th annual La Jolla Rough Water Swim. Good times.

I ended up finishing in 36mins and 30 secs, which is way better than where I had hoped to finish. I was just trying to be under 50 mins, so I felt really happy with my swim. It was ridiculously hard in my opinion, and a tremendous workout. Brytni finished in 31 mins flat! I think I just edge out Brytni's Dad, but I don't believe he made too much of an effort as when he came out of the water, he looked as calm, cool, and collect as before he had stepped in. The guy is incredibly in shape.

The course was broken up into three lengths. The first leg was an 800 yard swim out of the cove, against the current. The second length, after the first buoy, is 460 yards, and tended to be covering rolling waves on their way to the coast. I swallowed lots of salt water here. The last length, back into the cove is 500 yards and I felt like I got really lucky here, because many swimmers had trouble with sets of waves that wouldn't allow them to make it in. Many people had issues with rubber legs, I didn't. There is a good reason for this. I hardly kick my legs when I swim, and I lack technique with my swimming. I did need to sit down after I crossed the finish line, but that was because I was winded. My legs were there, my lungs were not.

Anyways, I really want to thank Brytni's family, and my family who all made it out to watch and support the three swimmers. Whether the professionals noticed or not, I sure did, and I know that it was your eyes that made me want to finish so bad. I am glad I did. Looking forwards to next year, and the one after that especially (80th annual). Till then, keep swimming.

No comments: